What are the advantages and disadvantages of having veneers
Veneers are thin shells that are attached to the front part of the teeth. They can be made from porcelain or from resin composite materials. Porcelain veneers usually last longer than composite resin veneers. And also resist stains better and better mimic the light reflecting properties of natural teeth.
Dental veneers can improve the color, shape and position of your teeth, or can protect the tooth’s surface from damage. Veneers are used to fix teeth that are discolored, teeth that are worn out, teeth that are misaligned, uneven or irregularly shaped. A veneer can make a chipped tooth look whole again and can also be used to close small gaps, when braces are not suitable.
As you can see, this type of dental procedure can address a lot of mouth issues. And it is an important tool for cosmetic dentistry that Dr Arhiri uses in order to achieve his patients goals.
About porcelain veneers
Porcelain veneers take at least 2 dental visits. Your dentist may give you an anesthetic and he will remove a thin layer of the enamel from your teeth. Then your dentist will make a mold of your teeth, which is used to custom-make your porcelain veneers. It usually takes a couple of weeks for your dentist to receive the veneers back from the laboratory. Temporary veneers may be placed until your final veneers are ready. In the end, your smile will be surely improved.
About composite resin veneers
Composite resin veneers can be done in only one dental visit. Your dentist will choose the composite resin that best fits the color of your natural teeth. This composite resin will be applied in layers and it will be hardened with a bright light until your dentist decides your tooth looks natural.
Nowadays porcelain veneers are the one used by dentists.
Advantages of porcelain veneers
- Veneers are very thin and this is why they make teeth look natural and healthy.
- Porcelain is well tolerated by your gums.
- Porcelain veneers can make dark teeth appear whiter.
- Veneers do not require much shaping of your tooth prior to the procedure. So they give you a more aesthetic alterative.
Disadvantages of porcelain veneers
- Veneers can chip or crack and they are nor repairable.
- Veneers can fall off.
- Teeth with veneers can get cavities.
- Veneers are not a good option for people with unhealthy teeth.
- Individuals who clench their teeth are not good candidates for porcelain veneers because grinding their teeth can cause the veneers to chip or crack.
- Your teeth may become more sensitive to hot and cold beverages and drinks, as a consequence your enamel has been removed to make room for the veneer.
Dental veneers do not require special attention. Keep flossing daily and brushing your teeth twice a day and rinsing with mouthwash. Veneers do not get stained to easily, but your dentist may recommend you to try to avoid foods and drinks that may discolor or stain your teeth such as coffee, tea or red wine.
As a conclusion, veneers improve your smile and help you regain your self-confidence. For this you have to find a qualified dental care provider able to create a great looking smile. In case you have questions related this dental procedure, call Dr. Arhiri to schedule an appointment with our office in Berwyn, Mail Line area. 610.647.7611 is our phone number. We are more than glad to help you with your dental issues.