If you have that not-so-fresh feeling in your mouth, be aware that you are not alone.
It has been estimated that bad breath affects 1 in 4 people globally and that its major cause is bad oral hygiene. It is characterized by an unpleasant smelling coming from the mouth, dry mouth or white tongue. Halitosis appears when particles of the food remain in the mouth. Bacteria feed on protein which is found in the meat, fish and dairy products that you consume daily.As the bacteria break down the protein, they release sulphur, which causes halitosis.
Persistent bad breath can be a sign of gum disease. Eating h4ly flavored foods, such as onion and garlic, can also cause your breath to have a bad odor. The same for drinking alcohol or smoking.
If you have a proper oral health, if you have a healthy diet, but still bad breathe, it is time to consult your dentist. You may have a general health problem. Many diseases can cause bad breath: liver or kidney problems, diabetes, sinus infections, respiratory tract infections such as pneumonia and bronchitis, digestion problems.
Bellow you ca find a few ways to help you in your fight with bad breath:
- Brush the teeth at least twice a day, after meals.
- Floss. This is because flossing reduces the build-up of plaque from between the teeth.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash. It will reduce bacteria in your mouth.
- Clean your tongue regularly, especially in the morning. A tongue scraper or a toothbrush can be very useful.
- See your dentist regularly, for check-ups and regular cleanings.
- Drink enough water in order to keep your mouth hydrated. A dry mouth can make your breath smell since saliva helps wash away food particles and bacteria in your mouth. It can also be helpful to chew sugar-free gum. It stimulates saliva production.
- Eat healthy foods. Avoid garlic, onion and spicy food. Avoid sugary foods. Reduce coffee and alcohol consumption.
- Quite smoking and chewing tobacco products. Smoking stains your teeth, gives you bad breath and causes a lot of other general health problems.
- If you have dentures, do not forget to take them out at night and clean them before using your dentures the next day.
In the majority of cases, bad breath can be cured and prevented with proper oral hygiene. If halitosis is cause by a medical condition, you should see a doctor in order to treat the illness.
To conclude, bad breath is usually a result of bad oral hygiene. It disappears after you improve your oral hygiene. In case this not happens and you are concerned regarding the bad taste in your mouth, take measures and do not let your problem became more serious.
Do you need a dentist? Dr. Arhiri is here for you. Call today and make an appointment.