We all have certain habits that can be bad for our oral health. Sometimes we do them because we are stressed or because they make us happy. It may be a little difficult giving up a bad habit. Bellow you have some habits that may destroy your dental health. In case you recognize yourself in one of these habits, take measure as soon as you can.
- Chewing on ice. Frozen cubes can chip away at the enamel of your teeth or even crack your teeth. Eating ice can also irritate the tissues around your teeth, affecting your oral health, this is the reason why regular toothaches may follow. The cold temperature and the hardness of ice cubes can cause serious damage to your teeth.
- Opening stuff with your teeth (bottle caps or plastic packaging). Teeth are meant to help us to chew food, speak and look great when we smile. Using our teeth as a tool is a threat to our dental health and can damage your dental work.
- Chewing pencils or biting nails. Regularly biting your nails can cause your teeth to misalign and your enamel can be worn out. If you have the habit of holding a pencil between your teeth and bite down on it, your teeth may be at risk of cracking.
- Grinding your teeth. Grinding your teeth is very difficult to control because it usually appears during sleep. It can result in chipped, broken or fractured teeth, which will require crowns or dental implants for the affected teeth. It can also result in chronical face pain or muscle dysfunction. Your dentist may recommend you to wear a night guard.
- Lemon consumption. If you love eating lemons, you may damage your tooth enamel, since lemons are rich in acidic substances which cause erosion. This will result in tooth sensitivity.
- Smoking, drinking red wine or coffee. If you are a coffee drinker or a red wine drinker, you must know that this habit may stain your teeth. Coffee’s dark color and acidity can cause yellowing of the teeth over time. Cigarettes and other tobacco products can stain teeth and cause them to fall out as a result of gum disease. The acids in wine eat away at tooth enamel and stain the teeth.
- Brushing your teeth too hard. This bad habit can wear down your teeth, irritate your gums, make your teeth sensitive to cold. Dentists recommend soft or medium bristled toothbrushes.
- Multiple snacks. Avoid snacking too frequently and choose snacks that are low in sugar. The consumption of sugar-filled sweets can lead to tooth decay and other oral health issues.
- Drinking too much soda.Sodas have a lot of sugar and contain citric acids which lead to the erosion of your teeth enamel.
As you may see, there are a lot of habits that may damage your teeth and gums. Please bear in mind that you can control all these habits and change them for the good of your oral health. In case you need dentist assistance, do not hesitate to call Dr. Arhiri to make an appointment.