What are veeners?
Veneers are thin shells of ceramic (porcelain) or composite resin material, that are made to fit over the front surface of a tooth. They may be a solution for a beautiful smile and they can be used to fix stained, misaligned, chipped, worn out or too much spaced teeth.
This means that a veneer can make a chipped tooth look like whole again. Veneers can also be used to cover small gaps between teeth. Veneers will improve the shape and the color of your teeth and they are very difficult to stain. They will make teeth look natural and this is the reason this dental procedure is considered a cosmetic procedure.
You will get your veneers in at least 2 visits at your dentist. The first to prepare the tooth and fit the shade and the second to bond it in place with resin cement.
Placing veneers is an irreversible process because it is necessary that your dentist remove a small amount of your enamel. So you should think twice before getting veneers.
Veneers were invented in 1928 by a Californian dentist to be used for a film shoot for temporarily changing the appearance of actors’ teeth. Ceramic veneers appeared in 1982 and since then they are frequent used.
Patients with veneers will have to do their regular oral care(brush and floss at least twice a day, and also rinse your mouth with an antiseptic mouthwash). Veneers do not require any special treatment.Your dentist may recommend you to avoid stain-causing food and beverages (coffee , tea, red wine). Veneers lasts between 7 and 15 years, but they can chip or break over time. Small chips can be repaired, but in most cases new veneers are needed.
- Veneers provide a natural appearance and a beautiful smile will increase your self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Porcelain veneers are stain-resistant;
- The dental procedure it is not painful and it is a relatively quick procedure.
- It is an irreversible process,
- Since the enamel has been removed, your teeth may become more sensitive to hot or cold food and beverages;
- Veneers may not exactly match the color of your teeth;
- Veneers are recommended for patients with healthy teeth;
- Grinders are not candidates for veneers.
To conclude, veneers are a good solution for people who want a beautiful smile in the shortest time and they also have healthy teeth. Before deciding applying veneers on your teeth, discuss with your dentist. Call today Dr. Arhiri for an appointment.