For a good oral health, we all need to brush our teeth at least twice a day for at least two minutes each time, we need to floss and also to use mouthwash.
But this is not enough. In order to prevent any teeth or mouth problems, we should also have the recommended professional teeth cleanings every six months.
Don’t you know what a professional teeth cleaning is? Let’s find out together.
A teeth cleaning is a simple and painless procedure, performed by your dentist or by a dental hygienist. Teeth cleaning involves the removal of dental plaque and tartar from teeth that may develop in areas that are difficult to reach when doing our daily oral care. It is done in order to prevent dental cavities, gum disease and other oral health problems.
Since a good oral health means a good general health, teeth cleanings are very important in keeping your mouth and your entire body healthy.
Too much build-up of plaque may lead to gum disease. The tartar must be removed because your body sees it as an invader and it starts to fight against it. The plaque and tartar will lead to gum disease, condition which increases the risk of stroke, heart disease, and dementia.
The hygienist’s main role is to prevent and treat gum disease. Hygienists also give advice about preventing tooth decay and bout a healthy and balanced diet.
Tips for strong teeth and a beautiful smile
- Brush and floss at least twice a day, the last time before going to bed.
- Rinse your mouth with mouthwash.
- Make appointments for professional teeth cleanings every six months (if you have a good oral health), or every three months (if you suffer from gum disease).
- Eat a balanced diet, rich in fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid unhealthy snacks and try to decrease the amount of sugar in your diet.
- Chew sugar-free chewing gum after meals in order to prevent dental cavities. Chewing gum increases the quantity of saliva in your mouth, which neutralizes the acids produced after drinking and eating.
Regular professional teeth cleaning combined with your home care after your teeth will keep your mouth healthy. A healthy mouth will improve your appearance, will maintain your fresh breath and will increase your self-confidence. In this way you will smile more.
To conclude, for a good oral health we all need to have professional teeth cleanings at least twice a year. In most cases these procedures are done by dental hygienists, but also by your dentist. Do not forget that your oral health is linked to your general health. Did it pass more that six months since your last cleaning? Call today D. Arhiri to make an appointment.